1. HOME
  2. About NGII
  3. History
  4. History of the name change of NGII

History of the name change of NGII

History of the name change of NGII
  • History
  • History on the name change of NGII

Established the National Geography Research Institute in the Ministry of National Defense
[58. 4.19: Presidential Decree #1363]
  • General Affairs Division
  • Survey Division
  • Cartography Division
  • It was a national institution in charge of geodetic surveying, so it managed and maintained maps with newly updated information.
Transferred the National Construction Research Institute to the Ministry of Home Affairs
[61. 2.15: Premier Decree #190]
  • Survey Division
  • Cartography Division
  • The National Geography Research Institute was merged with the Civil Engineering Research Institution, and the Ministry of Home Affairs.
Transferred the National Construction Research Institute to the National Construction and Management Office.
[61.10. 2: Cabinet Order #160]
  • Survey Division
  • Cartography Division
Transferred the National Construction Research Institute to the National Construction and Management Office.
[61.10. 2: Cabinet Order #160]
  • Survey Division
  • Cartography Division
Transferred the National Construction Research Institute, the Ministry of Construction
[62. 6.29: Cabinet Order #854]
  • Survey Division
  • Cartography Division
[68. 7.24: Presidential Decree #3516]
  • Reorganization: Geodetic Survey Division was established (including Geodetic Survey Section, and the Aerial Photogrammetry Section, Cartography Section).
Established the National Geography Institute in the Ministry of Construction
[74.11. 1: Presidential Decree #7273]
  • 2 Divisions and 5 Sections: General Management Section, and the Geodetic Survey Division (Geodetic Survey Section, and Aerial Photogrammetry Section), Map Division (Research Section, and Production Section)
[81.11. 2: Presidential Decree #10564]
  • 4 Divisions: General Affairs Division, Geodetic Survey Division, Aerial Photogrammetry Division, and the Cartography Divisionn
Transferred the National Geography Institute to the Ministry of Construction and Transportation
[94.12.23: Presidential Decree #14447]
  • According to the government reorganization, the Ministry of Construction was unified with the Ministry of Construction and Transportation.
[95.10.19: Presidential Decree #14796]
  • Established the Geographic Information Division.
[99. 5.24: Presidential Decree #16360]
  • Established the Geodetic Survey Research Division.
Achievements
Beginning of the Modernized Cartography
On the basis of achievements of Sang-Gee Jung and Jung-Ho Kim living at the end of the Chosun Dynasty, the first modernized map; a complete map of Korea was published in 1899 by Yang-Ji-Ah-Moon. The first national institution dealing with geodetic surveying during the Daehan Empire period. In 1909, 727 map sheets of Korea were produced with triangulation, leveling, and topographic surveying technology, as a part of the project surveying comprehensively the national land status including the administrative and geodetic status. After the Second World War, the USA government office took 722 original maps on the scale of 1 to 50,000 produced by the Japanese government. As a result, the Korean military engineering division took the result tables of triangulation and leveling used by the Chosun governor-generalship office. However, this important information, including the maintanance status of the triangulation and leveling in Korea, was not handed down.
Cartography Status after the Korean Government was formed
The National Geography Research Institute in the Ministry of National Defense (1958~1961) According to the requests of the US government and the Korean army, the National Geography Research Institute in the Ministry of National Defense was established by the Presidential Decree #1363 on April 18, 1958. On February 15, 1961, it was transferred to the National Construction Research Institute (with survey and cartography division) in the Ministry of Home Affairs.
President → Advisory Committee → Management Division, Surveying Division, Cartography Division [Non-millitary Officers:4 / Oiificer and Civilian Attached to the Millitary:57 / Soldier:23]
[Table 1]  Organization Chart of the National Construction Research Institute in the Ministry of Home Affairs
The National Construction Research Institute in the Ministry of Home Affairs performed land surveys, cartography, geographic name research and other basic works related with land surveying. Most works regarding the land surveys, was the control point of restoration and the establishment of a reconstruction plan.
The stone mark status of control points at that time is shown below.
The stone mark status of control points at that time
1st order 2nd order 3rd order 4th order Total
Total Number of Points 189 1,102 3,045 11,753 16,089
Number of Damaged Points 131 765 2,272 8,770 11,929
Damaged Ratio (%) 69 69 75 75 74
Although 37,447 triangulation points were installed in Korea from 1910 to 1918 (and among them 16,089 installed in North Korea), 75% of them (around 12,000 points) were damaged or destroyed during the Korean War. The military investigated the fields since 1956. Since 1959, the National Geography Research Institute in the Ministry of National Defense made a control point reconstruction plan after investigating the 3rd and 4th order triangulation points based on the 1st and 2nd triangulation points; including the islands around the Southeastern area. It performed coordinate system conversion, record modification, and chromaticity conversion in order to change a topographic map for military use, produced by the survey division in the military, on the scale of 1:50,000 to a topographic map for nonmilitary use.

On July 25, 1958, the Central Conference of Geographic Name was established in the National Geography Research Institute in the Ministry of National Defense; according to the General Order # 103 of the Ministry of National Defense. It elected a committee of 25 members; including Hyun-Bae Choi on August 7, 1958. After the local conferences of geographic names were established on December 9, 1958, they notified 124,000 cases among 137,000 cases invested in the field on April 22, 1961. Based on this information, a guidebook for the national geographic names was published.

This research Institution was influenced by the survey technology of other developed countries, so it suggested establishing a survey law to build the survey standards to get more accurate surveying data.

The National Construction Research Institute in the Ministry of Construction (1962~1974) According to the government reorganization, the National Geography Research Institute in the Ministry of National Defense merged to the Civil Engineering Research Institute in the Ministry of Home Affairs by Premier Decree #190 on February 15, 1961. According to the Cabinet Order # 160, it was transferred to the National Construction Research Institute in the National Construction and Management Office on October 2, 1961. According to the Cabinet Order #854, it was transferred to the National Construction Research Institute in the Ministry of Construction again on May 29, 1962.
President → Advisory Committee → Management Division, Surveying Division, Cartography Division [Non-millitary Officers:4 / Oiificer and Civilian Attached to the Millitary:57 / Soldier:23]
[Table 2]  Organization Chart of the National Construction Research Institute in the Ministry of Construction- Survey, Map
The National Construction Research Institute (with geodesy division and cartography division) modified the draft of Land Survey Act and introduced this to the National Reconstruction Committee. It was approved by the committee, and promulgated as Law # 938 on December 31, 1961.

As the result of the continuous control point rehabilitation, 7,974 triangulation points among 16,089 points and 3,006 bench mark among 4,766 points were reconstructed at the end of 1972. The base map for general purpose use (non-military purpose use), on the scale of 1:50,000 was transferred by the survey division in the military in 1961. After it was modified and published with official geographical names, it was notified in public.

In addition, other base maps on the scale of 1:25,000 that dealt with the Northern area over North latitude 37°, as well as some areas in Busan and Daegu, were newly published. The map publication and geodetic survey was regularized by performing the topographic survey, to publish maps on the scale of 1:3,000 and 1:10,000 that was the basic data of the Ulsan Industrial Complex construction, the first project of the first 5-year economy development plan in 1962.

The topographic map on the scale of 1:250,000 and a general map covering the whole country was published. With agreement from the Netherlands to cooperate for aerial photogrammetry on August 13, 1966, plotters and cameras for aerial photogrammetry was introduced, and engineers got sent to study for learning advanced survey technology. It started to produce a topographic map on the scale of 1:25,000, in which aerial photogrammetry was used in 1967, and 762 map sheets (size 7.5' X 7.5') were completed until 1974. Between 1973 to 1974, 239 topographic maps on the scale of 1:50,000 was produced by reducing the topographic map on the scale of 1:25, 000. Moreover, 13 topographic maps on the scale of 1:250, 000 was produced.

The National Geography Institute in the Ministry of Construction (1974~) On November 1, 1974, the task of the geodetic survey and cartography of the National Construction Research Institute was transferred to the National Geography Institute in the Ministry of Construction.
Its organization is shown below from the establishment.
President → Advisory Committee → Management Division, Surveying Division, Cartography Division [Non-millitary Officers:4 / Oiificer and Civilian Attached to the Millitary:57 / Soldier:23]
[Table 3]  Organization Chart of the National Geography Institute established in 1974.
This institution was shrunk on November 2, 1981. In 1994, according to the merge of the Ministry of Construction and Ministry of Transportation, it was reorganized to the National Geography Institute in the Ministry of Construction and Transportation.

In order to process the National Geographic Information System, the Geographic Information Division was established in October 1995, and the Research and Development Division was established in the National Geography Institute in May 1999.